2016 - 2017 Academic Year
- Eckstein Middle School has approximately 1000 total students in 6th, 7th & 8th grades.
- Spectrum classes are offered in Language Arts. Spectrum is a district placement.
- There are two 30-minute mixed grade lunch periods.
- Course Catalog
School hours: 8:45 a.m. – 3:15 p.m.
M/W/F – all six classes
T/Th – 45-minute Advisory Period plus all six classes
Grades at Eckstein
- Reflect what students know as related to the state and common core standards, and are able to do as demonstrated on a variety of assessments; and
- are consistent, accurate, meaningful, and SUPPORT learning.
Our hope is that with a school-wide grading system, you and your student have a clear sense of what needs to be learned and what constitutes a successful performance. Grades are not to be used as a punishment.
At Eckstein, the letter grade means:
A = Exceeds Standard
B = At Standard
C = Approaching Standard
D = Below Standard
E = Far Below Standard/No Evidence of Learning
6th Grade Classes
- Social Studies
- Language Arts
- PE (1 semester) / Technology (1 semester)
- Elective (Music or Art)
7th & 8th Grade Classes
Students have two elective choices, which include music, foreign languages (Spanish, French or Japanese), technology & art.
6th grade: World History
7th grade: WA State History/World History 7 (one semester each)
8th grade: US History
Aligned with Common Core State Standards, focusing on literature and writing skills.
6th grade: Physical and Chemical Science
7th grade: Life Science
8th grade: Earth and Space Science
Requirements are 1 semester in 6th, 7th & 8th grades. Students in 7th & 8th grade may apply for a PE waiver for religious or health reasons, or if they are involved in an organized athletic activity that qualifies. PE waiver forms are available in Eckstein’s main office and on the school district website. Students in 6th grade are not eligible for waivers. REQUESTS SHOULD BE TURNED INTO THE MAIN OFFICE WITH DOCUMENTATION. Download PE Waiver Form here.
- Students are placed in math based on district recommendations and teacher recommendations. During the first week of school, students will be assessed and moved as necessary.
- Eckstein’s math curriculum is “Connected Math Program”
- Math class placement is independent of Spectrum placement.
- Band: Beginning, Junior & Intermediate Bands, Wind Ensemble, Intermediate & Sr Jazz Bands (Jr Jazz is an after-school program)
- Orchestra: Beginning, Junior, Intermediate & Senior Orchestras
- Choir & Vocal Jazz
- 6th grade students can either sign up for a beginning level music class or audition for a more advanced class before the school year starts.
- Eckstein Band
- Eckstein Orchestra
Two years of Spanish, French and Japanese are offered for 7th and 8th grade students. Students may not begin a new language in the 8th grade.
2016-2017 Grade Level Counselors:
6th Grade: Alisa Wedemeyer firstname.lastname@example.org
7th Grade: Reema Ziadeh email@example.com
8th Grade: Larry Christensen firstname.lastname@example.org
2016 – 2017 Grade Level Administrators:
6th grade -- Deidre Willner
7th grade -- Ron Timmons email@example.com
8th grade -- Jolene Anderson firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal -- Treena Sterk email@example.com
Seattle Public Schools website