Food Support Program
Packs for Kids at Eckstein Middle School
Packs for Kids is a food support program at Eckstein that provides weekend meals for hungry kids. Eckstein PTSA, in cooperation with the University District Food Bank, started the program in 2011 when staff began noticing more students coming to school hungry on Monday mornings.
How Does Packs for Kids Work?
Eckstein is seeking funding from the school community and local businesses in order to continue this important student support program.
How You Can Support Packs for Kids at Eckstein:
- Make a donation of any amount
- Sponsor one student’s food backpack for the rest of the school year with a donation of $130
- Sponsor one week of food bags for all Eckstein students in the program with a donation of $485
Donating is easy. To donate online:
- Go to the University District Food Bank
- Click “Donate Now”
- Find Packs for Kids under “Please direct my gift toward” and type “Eckstein” in the comments section
To donate by mail:
- Send a check payable to Eckstein PTSA/Packs for Kids to Eckstein Middle School, 3003 NE 75th St, Seattle WA 98115
For more information:
- Contact Eckstein Middle School at 206-252-5085 or Erica Davenport at email@example.com
One in four children in Washington state lives in a household where there is not enough food for everyone to eat (source: Northwest Harvest), and the number of hungry families at Eckstein Middle School is increasing.
Each week Eckstein volunteers pick up the food from the University District Food Bank and fill packs with weekend food (like cup-a-soup, granola bars, oranges, juice boxes, oatmeal packets, individual canned meals, shelf-stable milk, fruit cups, trail mix and basic hygiene supplies like soap, shampoo and toothpaste).
We also welcome donations of these Packs for Kids items :
- Canned soup
- Flip-top cans of pasta, ravioli, beef stew, etc.
- Single-size macaroni & cheese
- Trail mix
- Granola bars or energy bars
- Snack crackers
- Applesauce cups
- Fruit cups
- Pudding cups
- Single-size cereal boxes
- Dried fruit, fruit leather or fruit snacks
- Juice boxes
- Shelf stable individual milk or chocolate milk boxes
- Oranges, mandarin oranges, apples or baby carrots
New, unopened toiletry items: